In honor of my good friends, Jamie and Jim, and their combined sweet tooth, I have put together a fantastic recipe for homemade protein bars that are more like brownies than bars. Believe me when I tell you that at 200 calories for two large bars you’ll satisfy your sweet tooth, keep it clean, and help you stay fueled for the day! These will keep me going during my “brick” workout today! More to come on that later!
J&J (Jim and Jamie) Protein Bars
1 cup Whole Wheat Flour (or Oat flour or Spelt)
4 Egg Whites
2 scoops Chocolate Whey Protein Powder
½ cup Splenda, Truvia, or Ideal OR 1/4 cup honey
2/3 cup water
½ tsp Baking Soda
¼ tsp sea salt
8oz Gerber’s Organic Berry and Banana Blend baby food (I’ve also used pumpkin, pureed avocado, Garden vegetable baby food, black beans, or squash, you don’t taste it but it does make it more moist)
3 tbsp unsweetened baking Cocoa
1/2 cup old fashioned oatmeal oats
Add healthy fats… choose two of the following at most, or use your own favorite:
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup slivered almonds
- 1/3 cup walnuts
- 1/2 cup almond butter
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Mix dry ingredients (oat flower, vanilla whey protein, baking soda, salt, baking cocoa) together in a large bowl.
3. Mix wet ingredients (egg whites, Splenda, Truvia, or Ideal, Berry flavored Baby Food,Water) together in a medium sized bowl.
4. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix together. Add oats, and your two healthy fats.
5. Spray cooking dish with a non stick butter spray and add batter to dish.
6. Bake 20-30 minutes in oven.
Makes 16 squares, serving size is 2 bars.
Calories per 2 bars: 200
Carbs: 28 grams
Fat: 6 grams
Protein: 14 grams
Fiber: 6 grams